Dinner at Home

Monday, March 10, 2014

The Perfect Antidote to Winter: Chili Con Carne

When people ask me what's the best thing I make, I always think of my chili. It's a tried and true recipe and is as much a pleasure to make for my husband and me on a weeknight in and good enough to make for company on the weekend. I recommend pairing this with a pan of cornbread and a nice red wine.

Rick's Chili Con Carne


Ingredients
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 Poblano pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 stalks of celery, sliced
1-1/2 lbs. ground chicken or turkey (you can use ground beef, but I think it makes too much grease. With the seasonings in this dish, the poultry works just fine)
2 15-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz. can kidney or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 T chili powder
1 T oregano
1 T cumin
1T instant coffee (yes, coffee. That might seem strange, but it adds depth of flavor and I promise you won't taste coffee)
1 t cinnamon (same as with the coffee)
1 t ground coriander
1 bay leaf
1/2 to 1 cup dry red wine
salt and pepper to taste
pinch or more of cayenne, depending on how hot you like your chili

Directions
Warm olive oil in Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions, pepper, garlic and celery and cook, stirring, until fragrant and soft (about 5 minutes). Add chicken and break up with a wooden spoon, stir and toss until it loses its pink color. Add in tomatoes and beans, stirring. Add in all the spices and bay leaf, stir, and bring to boil (if it isn't boiling already). Reduce to simmer and let it simmer for about 40 minutes. Taste and see if you need any additional salt and pepper. Note: this tastes much better if you make it a day ahead, refrigerate, and re-heat.

Top with sour cream or Greek yogurt, sliced green onions, avocado, cilantro, and shredded cheese...or whatever you like. It's all good.

Let me know if you tried my recipe, how you liked it, and if you got creative and made changes or additions. Both corn and mushrooms make great additions to the above.

4 comments:

  1. Making my shopping list for this. Looking forward to tasting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy to make and very flavorful. Yum! I definitely intend to make this again.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete