Dinner at Home

Friday, April 4, 2014

A Guest at the Table: Reader & Mom Kari Higa Makes Shares Her Recipe for Chocolate Waffles


Kari says: I love making chocolate covered treats for special occasions.  It's not an indulgence I allow myself often but these are so good.

Sometimes, I make way too many treats for one day.  I had leftover ganache and chocolate cover fruit.  So the next day, when trying to decide what to make for breakfast, I decided to make chocolate waffles. It turned out so much better than I'd hoped.

No need for syrup. Just sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar and top with chocolate covered fruit!


Chocolate Waffles 

Ingredients
4 tbsp chocolate ganache (see recipe below)
1 1/2 cups waffle mix (Bisquick or see recipe below)
1 large egg
Milk (about 3/4 cup)
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp sugar
Berries (I used chocolate covered strawberries and raspberries)

Directions
Preheat the waffle iron.  In a large microwaveable bowl, warm the ganache (mine was refrigerated). Add the waffle mix, sugar, egg, oil, and stir enough milk until the batter is cake-like batter consistency.

Fill the waffle iron with batter and cook until done.

Top with fruit and sprinkle powdered sugar.  Enjoy!

Makes 6 waffles

Chocolate Ganache

The ratio for ganache is 1 cup heavy cream to 8 oz. chocolate chips.  I like dark chocolate so I use Ghirardelli 60% cacao chips.

Warm the cream in the microwave for about a minute in the microwave.  Keep an eye so that it doesn't boil.  Add the chocolate chips and stir until shiny and the chocolate completely melt.

Waffle Mix

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder

This can be stored in an airtight container. I make a huge batch so I can use it during the week to cut down on preparation time.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment